Monday, 14 February 2011

Boucheron Tiara of the Queen Mother

The Boucheron Tiara
(Honeycomb tiara)
The Boucheron tiara was made for Hon. Mrs Greville from Boucheron in London on 8th January, 1921. It was made up from diamond stones which were taken from an old tiara.
Lady Greville bequethed her jewels and tiara to the Queen Mother. George VI was skeptical about receiving jewels from his subjects; as such the jewels and the tiara were in a box for a few years. The Queen Mother wore the tiara for the first time in 1947.
The original version, seen above, did not include the three diamond stones which top every other row.

HM Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mother nee Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon

Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother asked for the height of the tiara to be increased by adding a number of brilliant cut diamonds and a single marquise cut diamond in 1953.

Queen Mother, Elizabeth
The Late Queen Mother, Elizabeth
also wearing
Queen Alexandra's pearl necklace which she wore frequently.
Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall
The tiara is loaned to
Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall
for special occasions through
Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth.

In the above picture, Camilla is also wearing the Queen Mother's 5 row diamond Greville collar.

The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara
The 'Girls of Great Britain and Ireland' Tiara was given to the future Queen Mary as a wedding present in 1893.
TIARAS of the Tudors Ladies - The Tudors Wiki
The diamond tiara was purchased from Garrard, the London jeweller, by a committee headed by Lady Eve Greville. The tiara could also be worn as a necklace.
Queen Mary later replaced the pearl finials with diamonds and removed the lozenge-pattern bandeau from the base so that it could be worn as a headband. In 1947, both tiara and bandeau were given by Queen Mary to Princess Elizabeth as wedding presents. In 1969, the bandeau was reunited with the tiara.

HM Queen Elizabeth II
The tiara was described by Leslie Field as "a diamond festoon-and-scroll design surmounted by nine large oriental pearls on diamond spikes and set on a bandeau base of alternate round and lozenge collets between two plain bands of diamonds".
Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Elizabeth II usually wears the tiara without the base or pearls.
portrait of Queen Elizabeth II wearing the tiara, designed by Arnold Machin, has appeared on many Commonwealth currencies, including those of Britain, Australia, Jamaica, Canada and Ceylon.

HM Queen Elizabeth II wears the tiara frequently.

Thursday, 10 February 2011

Queen Elizabeth II: Brazilian Aquamarine Tiaras

1971 remastered Brazilian Aquamarine tiara of HM Queen Elizabeth II
Brazilian Aquamarine Tiara

The Brazil parure is one of the most modern jewels in the collection. In 1953, the President and people of Brazil presented Elizabeth II with the coronation gift of a necklace and matching pendant earrings of aquamarines and diamonds.
Queen Elizabeth ordered the royal jeweller Garrard to complete the parure with a tiara. This wonderful creation has an aquamarine as a focal point which exceeds in size and beauty all other stones of this set.
Originally the tiara consisted of a bandeau with 3 upright aquamarines. Later it was augmented to its present form.
When first made in 1957, the tiara consisted of the three upright rectangular stones (detachable for use as brooches), mounted on a simple platinum band. The large central stone was originally the pendant of the necklace given to The Queen by the President and People of Brazil in 1953 as a Coronation present.

In 1971 the tiara was redesigned and adapted to take four scroll ornaments from an aquamarine and diamond head jewel given to The Queen by the Governor of São Paulo in 1968. The central stone of the first tiara was subsequently returned to the necklace. That statement seems to be incorrect as the tiara looks like it was recently worn by HRH Sophie, Countess of Wessex at the Luxembourg wedding in 2012. However, several people do not think this is the original tiara that HM wore [left]. The Royal Order of Splendor blog has several theories on this tiara worn by Sophie of Wessex.
Source: The Royal Collection

Nizam of Hyderabad, Gloucester Palmette, Teck Circlet tiara and necklace

Nizam of Hyderabad Parure
The Nizam of Hyderabad Parure

This wonderful tiara supposedly does not exist anymore. The tiara was, together with a necklace given to HM The Queen by the Nizam of Hyberabad as a coronation-gift.

HM Queen Elizabeth II

Made by Cartier and later broken up to be used in new setting, in the Burmese Ruby Rose Tiara, made by Court jeweller Garrard.

HM Queen Elizabeth II

The roses of the original tiara were thought to have been taken to be made into Rose Brooches for The Queen.

HM Queen Elizabeth II


The Gloucester Palmette
Was owned by Queen Mary.
The Diamond Crown is ornamented with a graduated frieze of styled honeysuckle.
HM Queen Mary
The central ornament is made to be separable; as seen below. It was completed before or during
February 1914.

The tiara was a Royal Wedding Present to the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester,
Princess Alice Christabel
and her husband.

HRH Princess Alice Christabel, Duchess of Gloucester, nee Lady Alice Christabel Montagu-Douglas-Scott
Princess Alice Christabel of Gloucester
The Parure was then passed on to the current Duchess of GloucesterBirgitte, Duchess of Gloucester


Duchess of Teck Tiara
Duchess of Teck Tiara
Teck Rose Tiara
Princess Mary Adelaide of Teck; The mother of
Queen Consort, Mary

Queen Mary inherited her mother's jewelry The Duchess of Teck, like the neo classical ears of wheat tiara. This tiara is set with diamonds in tiers holding aloft the sheaves of wheat made in gold and silver. Princess Mary was the granddaughter of King George III and daughter of Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge, thus making Queen Mary, her daughter, a cousin of Queen Victoria.
Queen Mary inherited her mother's jewelry The Duchess of Teck, like the neo classical ears of wheat tiara. This tiara is set with diamonds in tiers holding aloft the sheaves of wheat made in gold and silver.
Duchess of Teck Tiara
The Teck Circlet

Made to go along with The Teck Diamond Tiara. In both pictures of Mary Adelaide, above, she is wearing the necklace.
The necklace and tiara were passed to the Queen Mother. It is not quite sure whether The Queen Mother loaned or gave the necklace to her daughter, HRH Princess Margaret. If she gave it to her it would have been passed to Margaret's son. Margaret's collection of jewels and tiaras were sold at Christie's in 2006. The Teck necklace was not part of the auction so it is thought that the necklace went back to the current Queen as it was a family heirloom.

The Queen Mother, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon
wears the Teck Tiara
Princess Margaret, daughter of George VI and the Queen Mother wears the necklace with the Papyrus tiara.

HM Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mother

and wearing the Teck necklace as a tiara.

Queen Mary's Diamond Loop tiara, Queen Victoria's Strawberry tiara, Olgivy tiara

Queen Mary's loop tiara
Queen Mary's Diamond Loop Tiara
The tiara was formed of oval loops with flowers and leaves. Total weight of the 675 diamonds is 102 3/4 carats.
Mary of Teck, Queen Mary

It was commissioned from Boucheron for Queen Mary while she was still Princess of Wales
in 1902.

Queen Mary of Teck
Queen Victoria Strawberry Tiara

The Strawberry Leaf Ruby Diamond Coronet

A diamond tiara of strawberry leaves that was once set with rubies, a favorite jewel of Queen Victoria. The Queen owned many tiaras, some of which are now altered, such as this item, which she had worn at Princess Louise wedding in 1871.
Since her husband Prince Albert’s death, the jewels and jewelry which he had arranged for her were talismanic for her.
Queen Victoria Strawberry Tiara
Along with the tiara there was a matching ruby and diamond necklace and brooch matching the coronet pattern tiara consisting of 14 lozenge-shaped clusters & 13 strawberry leaves with ruby and diamond band - part of a suite with necklace, brooch and earrings.

The suite was given to Queen Victora's daughter, Princess Beatrice, on her marriage 23 July 1885.
Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenburg
Princess Beatrice then passed it on to her daughter, above, Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenburg (Queen consort of Spain)
The Ogilvy Tiara
Princess Alexandra of Kent

Princess Alexandra, Lady Ogilvy

Princess Alexandra of Kent,
The Lady Ogilvy Windsor Tiara.
Daughter of
Princess Marina of Greece & Denmark, Duchess of Kent
Prince George, Duke of Kent.
Both the tiara and necklace has versatile stones that can be changed. Above, The Princess is wearing turquoise stones.
Below, The Princess switches the turquoise for pearls.

Princess Alexandra, Lady Ogilvy

Another variation includes replacing the stones with Sapphires.

No picture can be found of The Princess wearing it with sapphires, though.

George Talbot, 4th Earl of Shrewsbury

Researched by Meg McGath
© 2011
'''George Talbot, 4th Earl of Shrewsbury, 4th Earl of Waterford, 10th Baron Talbot, 9th Baron Furnivall''', KG (c. 1468 – 26 July 1538) was the son of John Talbot, 3rd Earl of Shrewsbury and Lady Catherine Stafford, daughter of the Humphrey Stafford, 1st Duke of Buckingham and Lady Anne Neville.

Under King Henry VII, the Earl was a distinguished and honoured warrior. The Earl fought with distinction against Lambert Simnel at the Battle of Stoke. The Earl was created a Knight of the Bath after the battle. In 1489, upon the birth of Henry's second child, a daughter named Margaret Tudor, Talbot became the first Tudor princess's godfather.

On the accession of King Henry VIII, the Earl continued to serve the King as he did his father and again distinguished himself amongst his peers as a great warrior. During Henry's reign the Earl became a powerful man, already being Lord High Steward of Ireland from 1473 to 1538; he was then appointed Lord Steward of the King's Household from 1509 to 1538, and Lieutenant-General of the North. He was present at the Field of the Cloth of Gold, was placed in command of the army sent to control the border of Scotland, and was given many other high political positions at court. When the divorce question came on King Henry's 'Great Matter', Shrewsbury supported it, gave evidence at Queen Katherine of Aragon's trial, and signed the letter to the pope urging him to grant the divorce. He also signed the articles against Cardinal Thomas Wolsey in 1529. On 4 Nov 1530, Wolsey was arrested for treason and brought south from York for his trial, arriving four days later at the Manor Lodge of the Earl where he stayed for eighteen days. He was treated kindly by the Earl and his family, who tried to make his stay as comfortable as possible. However, Wolsey became very ill before leaving Sheffield while under guard.

When the rebellion in the north broke out in October 1536, Shrewsbury promptly raised forces on his own authority, and 'his courage and fidelity on this occasion perhaps saved Henry's crown.'James A. Froude, ''History of England: from the fall of Wolsey to the death of Elizabeth''. Volume iii. pg 109. The Earl, John Russell, Sir William Parr (grandfather of Queen consort Katherine Parr), William Gonson, Sir Francis Bryan and Admiral Sir William FitzWilliam, who were royalists, mustered the 1,000 troops from Gloucester who lived at Stony Stratford who were present against the rebels of the Pilgrimage of Grace at Ampthill, Bedfordshire. It was Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk and the 4th Earl of Shrewsbury, that opened negotiations with the insurgents at Doncaster, where Robert Aske had assembled between thirty and forty thousand men. An armistice was then agreed upon, and the insurgents laid their demands before the King.

Having a large family and being a very wealthy man, he found the castle accommodation extremely cramped. He broke with the tradition of his family and decided to make Sheffield his home, living in Sheffield Castle built by Lord Furnivall. This castle is best known for holding Mary, Queen of Scots prisoner and indeed it was the 6th Earl, the Earl's grandson, who confined her. In 1516, he decided to build himself a country mansion on a hill about two miles away. In 1520, he had a chapel added to the parish church at Sheffield to serve as a family chapel with a burial vault below. This is now known as the Shrewsbury Chapel and now forms a historic part of Sheffield Cathedral.

In 1538, the Earl died, aged 70, while at Wingfield Manor. He was laid to rest in Shrewsbury Chapel along with his first wife, Lady Anne. In his will, the Earl directed 'that a tomb of marble should be set over his grave with three images thereon, namely one of himself in his mantle of the Garter, another of his deceased wife in her robes, and a third of his wife then living'. The monument to Talbot and his two wives can still be seen in the church (now Sheffield Cathedral).

He married before 27 Jun 1481 at age 13, his second cousin, Lady Anne Hastings, daughter of William Hastings, 1st Baron Hastings and Lady Katherine Neville. Lady Anne was at court as one of Katherine of Aragon’s ladies-in-waiting at the beginning of Henry VIII’s reign. Lady Anne was a maternal half-sister of Cecily Bonville, 7th Baroness Harington, Marchioness of Dorset.

George Talbot and Lady Anne Hastings had 11 children:
* Hon. Francis Talbot, later 5th Earl of Shrewsbury, 11th Baron Talbot (c. 1500-1560)
* Lady Elizabeth Talbot (c. 1507-aft. 6 May 1552), married aft. 18 May 1519 William Dacre, 3rd Baron Dacre of Gilsland, and had issue.
* Lady Margaret Talbot (dsp.), married, as his first wife, Henry Clifford, 1st Earl of Cumberland, no issue.
* Lady Mary Talbot (d. 16 April 1572), married c. Jan 1523/4 Henry Percy, 6th Earl of Northumberland. No issue.
* Hon. Henry Talbot, styled Lord Talbot (d. young)
* Hon. John Talbot (d. young)
* Hon. John Talbot (d. young)
* Hon. William Talbot, Marshal of Ireland
* Hon. Richard Talbot
* Lady Anne Talbot
* Lady Dorothy Talbot

After Anne died, he married secondly Elizabeth Walden (1491-July 1567), the daughter of Sir Richard Walden. They had two children:

* Lady Anne Talbot (18 March 1523 – 18 July 1588), married first Peter Compton (d. 30 January 1544) and had one son, Henry Compton, 1st Baron Compton; married second William Herbert, 1st Earl of Pembroke (1501–1570) who's first wife was Anne Parr, sister of Queen Katherine Parr.
* Hon. John Talbot (d. young)

In Film, fiction, television

The Earl of Shrewsbury is depicted by Gavin O'Connor in the Showtime series ''The Tudors''. In the series, the Earl of Shrewsbury is depicted as a much younger man (approximately 30). At the time of the Pilgrimage of Grace in 1536, which is when he is featured in The Tudors, historically, he was 70 yrs old. The date also confirms that he had to have been the 4th Earl of Shrewsbury; as titles are passed on only after a noble dies. ''The Tudors'' has been known to disregard the ''real'' ages of historical figures when casting roles.

* Pollard, A. F. "George Talbot, fourth Earl of Shrewsbury." Dictionary of National Biography. Vol LV. Sidney Lee, Ed. New York: The Macmillan Co., 1898. 313-314.
* Charles Mosley, editor, ''Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage'', 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 2, page 2004.
* Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 2, page 2927.
* ''The Tudors''. Showtime. Season 3, Episode ''The Northern Uprising (2009)''. TV episode.